Thursday, March 5, 2015

Reef Casey

    Morning run, rough water, Reef Bambi, lunch, Reef Bob, Reef Casey, sea turtle, boat trouble, unreliable Wifi, Skype with 2nd and 4th grade, data entry, and soon bed. Phew! I am tired just looking back at today. The three reefs that we surveyed were filled with so many varieties of fish. We are going in alphabetical order for the reef names. It was exciting to find which patch would be my reef. Watch the video to see.
Hawksbill sea turtle
   The first thing that I noticed was a large hawksbill sea turtle. This turtle is critically endangered so we were lucky to see one. It was tucked into the reef. It camouflaged so well that it startled me as I drifted over it. The reef had hundreds of Grunts in five different varieties. There was one enormous mutton snapper hiding in the center of the reef. It would look at me with its red eye. I kept waiting and waiting, but it never ventured out. Twelve people circling a reef would make any fish take cover.
Stoplight Parrotfish eat algae off the coral reef. An adult can produce one ton of sand a year.
Sharpnose Pufferfish
French Grunts, Lionfish, and a two foot long Mutton Snapper in hiding
Yellow Ray
Doctorfish
Handy dandy waterproof notebook with my pencil attached. The HDS students were curious about how I keep track of the fish. My notes might read F 100x2 which means 100 French grunts that are 2 inches long.
Juvenile Queen Angelfish, Bicolor Damselfish, Juvenile Princess Parrotfish

No comments:

Post a Comment