Friday, March 6, 2015

Dreaming of Juvenile Grunts

Blue-Striped Grunt and Beaugregory Damselfish
   I think that I finally know the difference between the Juvenile Tomtates, French, and White Grunts. The Juvenile Princess Parrotfish gave me some trouble on Reef Catherine because they are also black and white striped. The differences between the baby fish are so subtle.
Juvenile Striped Parrotfish are eating the zooxanthellae algae off the coral.
   I had a great time talking with the first, third, and fifth graders today. They had some really good questions. There were several questions about my favorite fish and what was the most exciting part of the trip. I loved the question about what is my least favorite fish. The lionfish makes me the most nervous. They float in the nooks and crannies of the coral. Many fish were hiding deep in the coral today. It was hard to tell what they were. I am getting better at duck diving and peeking under the ledges. 
Blue-Striped Grunt and Sharpnose Pufferfish
Massive Starlet Coral and Finger Coral
   I saw some new varities of coral today. The ivory bush coral looks so intricate up close. There were sea anemones with purple tips on each tentacle. Gigantic sponges dotted the landscape on the last reef of the day. They looked like big green ice cream cones. Coral was growing inside and around the rocks with the sponges. This was the perfect hiding place for the baby fish.
   Tomorrow afternoon is time off from the fish surveys. We get to see some fun places around the island. I will take lots of photos!
Ivory Bush Coral
Top View of Gigantic Sponge and Coral
Side View
Juvenile Striped Parrotfish are enjoying the inside of the sponge.
Juvenile Gray Angelfish is surrounded by Sea Anemone, Sponges, and Coral varieties.
Juvenile French Grunts are getting too close to the Lionfish. Watch out!


No comments:

Post a Comment