Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Kindergarten Questions

Green and Purple Coral
    I feel so lucky to be able to stretch my classroom beyond the limits of the school building. As I go through the day, I keep stopping and wishing that I could share with my students. Then I remember that I have all of my gadgets: GoPro Camera, Phone, Laptop. I get to start Skyping with the students at home in Corona Del Mar, California. My class sent me some questions that I will try to answer. I am a student right now so I don't know all of the answers. I know that might seem crazy to you, but your teacher doesn't know everything!

What types/colors of coral have you seen?

    The coral is so varied and colorful. I have seen dark purple, lavender, lime green, orange, red, brown, yellow. I do not know every type yet. There are beautiful fans that wave with the ocean currents.

Have you seen brain coral?

Brain Coral: Blue-Striped Grunt is hiding under the rock. Blue Tang is near the brain coral.

How many fish have you seen?
   Too many to count! Today I will complete my first data survey. I will be counting all of the grunts that I see on each patch reef.
   
What do fish eat?
   Every fish is different. Some fish eat smaller fish. Others nibble on algae growing on the coral.
    
Have you seen a bonefish, porcupine fish, lemon shark, red snapper, barracuda, Nassau grouper, or parrotfish?
Gray Angelfish

   Bonefish swim in the mangroves. I see them every day when I walk over the bridge to the Island School for meals. I have seen a barracuda and several types of parrotfish. The parrotfish look very similar. It is difficult to identify them. I have seen Stoplight Parrotfish. The porcupine fish and Nassau grouper are on the list so I might see them on another reef. There shouldn't be any lemon sharks where we are going. I did see a Nurse Shark hiding under some coral. They are scared of people.

   
What types of fish have you seen?
   I have labeled the fish on all of my photos. I will try to post different fish each day.
   
Has a porcupine fish poked you?
   I haven't see one yet. I won't go close enough to get poked. The lionfish made me nervous. They have 18 spines that can sting. They move slowly and stay close to the reef so I can float by without any problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment