Monday, March 2, 2015

Fourth Hole Reef


     What fish is it? How many inches long? These are the questions that I will be answering as we survey each patch reef. The team members are assigned different groups to count. I am in charge of the Grunt family of fish. They are usually striped yellow, blue, silver with sloping heads. I have to learn the difference between the Blue-Striped, Cottonwick, French, White, White Margate, Tomtate, Porkfish, Caesar, and Sailor's Choice. Our team practiced tonight with fish flashcards. It was hard!
     We also had a little test today. The head scientist Alistair set out a line of twenty foam fish. We estimated and recorded the lengths on our waterproof notepads. It was a little tricky to guess lengths underwater. Think about doing your math homework underwater while snorkeling. When I finished, I swam over to a small shipwreck. There were some Angelfish and Parrotfish hiding in the shadows. I got so excited about the colorful fish that I lost my recording paper and had to repeat my estimations. Oops! My average estimation was only 1 1/2 inches off. Not too bad. Just think about all of the math skills I am using this week.
Stoplight Parrotfish and Blue Tang
    Our day ended with a snorkel at the Fourth Hole Reef, named after the closest hole on the abandoned golf course. A wide variety of fish swam through the coral, in and out of hiding holes. Spiky sea urchins lurked in corners. Giant purple and lime green fans waved back and forth with the current. An eagle ray shuffled along the bottom and hid under a ledge. My favorite fish was a small bluehead wrass with two vertical black stripes.
   Today's challenge: How many fish are in the video? What is your favorite fish? Answer in the comments section.
Blueheaded Wrass
Needlefish
Eagle Ray
Colorful Fan Coral
Sea Urchin
Blue Tang




No comments:

Post a Comment