Monday, February 23, 2015

My Expedition March 1-10

    My EarthWatch trip to the Bahamas is coming soon. I will be flying to Rock Sound Airport on Eleuthera Island on March 1. The island is long and thin. In some places it is only 1 mile wide. My expedition will be staying at a research institute at the southern tip of island. I will be snorkeling in patch reefs and walking through mangroves to study the coral reefs.

     This trip will test my math skills. I will be counting fish and measuring growth of the coral. Of course this happens under water so I am packing a special waterproof notepad called Wet Notes. I am really excited to test out the Go Pro underwater camera. I will post videos and photos as often as I can.
     Send me lots of questions. I have posted some informational links as well as books. Coral reefs are critical for the health of our oceans. Consider these guiding questions as you learn more about coral reefs around the world.

Lower School:
    How does coral grow?
    Why do sea creatures live near coral reefs instead of the open ocean?
    Why are coral reefs important?

Upper School:
    Why should we protect coral reefs?
    Why is biodiversity important?
    What can you do to keep coral reefs from disappearing from our oceans?
    Why are large predators important? How can we change the public perception about sharks?

No comments:

Post a Comment